Tell us about you.
I’m an LA native, born and raised, went to college at USC. Then worked on Wall Street a couple of years and moved back to LA. I then went back into finance. When I was 28 I had worked in corporate America for 2 of the largest companies in the financial services space, I had also done internships in 2 huge companies in the entertainment industry. Felt like at that point in my life, I had a good feel for what corporate America was like, if there was ever a moment to do something entrepreneurial it was then and there. I felt like it was the moment to take the leap. I started the Veloz group. We started off with a ton of ideas, 10 different ones. After spending our first year trying to turn those ideas into business we realized it wasn’t possible. We were spending all of our time running in place. We burned through our savings and if we were ever going to get this going and stay entrepreneurs, we had to focus. We focused on the two businesses we had to monetization, 1 being an office furniture concept, the other being a cigar concept. The office concept which is now a national company is called Beverly Hills Chairs. It’s the leading seller of refurbished brand name office chairs in the country. Our other business, custom tobacco, you can create your own fully customized cigars in real time. They are premium cigars sourced from the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. Everything is customized. Our core client is event planners.
How do we effectively work from home?
It’s a great question. It’s relevant to everyone today and will be going forward. There are a few things we need to keep in mind,
1. The importance of carving out a dedicated office space within your home. You don’t need to have a mansion to have a dedicated office space within your home. You could have an apartment, a section within the bedroom of your apartment. If you have a chair you like working from maybe a desk, but it’s important you have mentally a place you can go to that gives you the clarity, the peace of mind, the focus to allow you to be in work mode. We all have distractions at all times and you need to be in a place where you can zone out those distractions.
2. Be mindful of what those distractions are. Keep a list of the things that go on through out your day that are distracting you, and knock those out.
3. I’m also a believer in routine. Just because you are working from home doesn’t mean you have an excuse to fall into a rut and to eliminate the routine you might have been used to.
How do you lead a team during this time?
A lot of the principles that are effective in leadership at all times are all the more effective and important right now. There are a few things in particular that leaders need to focus on in times of crisis.
1. Be truthful, trustworthy, honest, open
2. Be extremely focused on communication
3. Be extremely nimble
Twitter: The Meeting Minds
Leaderships & What We Can Do Now
Tell us about you.